If you want to volunteer in Siem Reap then our Child Protection Workshops are for you. Held at the training room in Treak Community Centre these are an excellent introduction to Cambodia with a focus on best Child Protection practices for volunteers working with children and vulnerable people.
Volunteering in Cambodia can be very rewarding, this workshop will help you to get the most out of your experience and get the most value for the organisation you volunteer with.
We have been running workshops for volunteers who come to work with children since January 2012. Many Cambodian staff members have also attended and found them useful. These sessions are run in English so a pretty good grasp English language is necessary. They are very interactive and include a mixture of ice breaker sessions, instructor lead activities, group work, and whole group activities.
The price is $15 per person, which includes morning refreshments and several handouts. The workshops run from 9.00 a.m. until around 1.30 p.m. Lunch isn’t included and is available at Treak Community Centre, if required, for $5.
The training schedule includes:
- an assessment of the volunteers’ awareness/knowledge of child protection issues
- an introduction to child protection
- who abuses children, including societal abuse
- socio-economic factors that impact on child abuse
- an overview of Cambodia that includes:
- recent history, particularly on issues relating to children
- Western/Cambodian culture differences
- examining differences in attitudes to child protection across gender, culture, generations
- the different forms of child abuse and how to identify them:
- volunteers’ child protection duties and responsibilities:
- at their place of work
- in their free time outside work
- taking photographs/dress code etc.
If you are planning to volunteer in Cambodia soon and would like to book for the next available workshop or if you have any questions then please contact us on [email protected] or phone +855 (0) 92 353 211
If you are a local organisation and you’d like to have a session in Khmer which includes the above as well as assisting Cambodian staff to understand about foreign volunteers and tourists visiting Siem Reap. Please contact us if you would like to arrange a workshop in Khmer.