If you want to Volunteer in Siem Reap then our Child Protection Workshops are for you. These are an excellent introduction to Cambodia with a focus on best Child Protection practices for volunteers working with children and vulnerable people.
Volunteering in Cambodia can be very rewarding, this workshop will help you to get the most out of your experience and get the most value for the organisation you volunteer with.
Since January 2012 we have been running one day workshops for volunteers who come to work with children. We have also had many Cambodian staff members who have attended and have found them useful. These sessions are run in English so a pretty good grasp English language is necessary. They are very interactive and include a mixture of ice breaker sessions, instructor lead activities, group work, and whole group activities.
The price is $15 per person, which includes morning and afternoon refreshment breaks and several handouts. The workshops run from 9.00 a.m. until around 3.30 p.m. Lunch isn’t included and The New Leaf Eatery offers a special deal for anyone who wishes to have lunch there on training days. The lunch break is one hour and people are free to make their own arrangements if they wish.
The training schedule includes:
- an assessment of the volunteers’ awareness/knowledge of child protection issues
- an introduction to child protection
- who abuses children, including societal abuse
- socio-economic factors that impact on child abuse
- an overview of Cambodia that includes:
- recent history, particularly on issues relating to children
- Western/Cambodian culture differences
- the link between poverty and child abuse/human trafficking
- examining differences in attitudes to child protection across gender, culture, generations
- the different forms of child abuse and how to identify them:
- volunteers’ child protection duties and responsibilities:
- at their place of work
- in their free time outside work
- taking photographs/dress code etc.
- Monday 9 January
- Monday 23 January
- Monday 6 February
- Monday 20 February
- Monday 6 March
- Monday 20 March
- Monday 3 April
- Monday 8 May
- Monday 22 May
- Monday 5 June
- Monday 19 June
- Monday 3 July
If you are planning to volunteer in Cambodia soon and would like to book for the next available workshop or if you have any questions then please contact us on [email protected] or phone +855 (0) 92 353 211
If you are a local organisation and you’d like to have a session in Khmer which includes the above as well as assisting Cambodian staff to understand about foreign volunteers and tourists visiting Siem Reap. Please contact us if you would like to arrange a workshop in Khmer.